The Ketogenic, or Keto, Diet is another diet that was created for one purpose- to treat children suffering from epilepsy. It was then marketed for another reason – weight loss! More recently, the Keto diet has become one of the more popular fad diets, largely due to the fact that many celebrities have claimed to have lost weight on it and are marketing all types of supplements, books, subscriptions, etc. based on the keto diet. Is all the hype worth it? And how does it work?
The diet is named after the fuel molecules your body produces called ‘ketones’. Ketones are an additional supply of fuel when blood sugar (glucose) is in short supply. Ketones are produced in the liver, from fat, when you eat very little carbs and some protein. When you follow a ketogenic diet, your body is almost entirely functioning on ketones. Fat burning increases, and stored fat releases easily, as insulin levels are low. At this point your body is in a state of ketosis. Sounds good, right? Maybe.
According to Harvard Health, while there may be some benefits of following a keto diet, there are also factors that should be taken into consideration. They include –
• The keto diet is very low in carbohydrates which is the energy source the body prefers, especially the brain.
• When you bring carbohydrates back into your diet, which you have to at some point, it’s easy to overdo it, and thus gain weight quickly.
• The keto diet is not a realistic long-term solution as it is very restrictive.
• Most people will experience brain fog, irritability and fatigue when severely restricting carbohydrates.
• You will be eating more protein, which is good, unless you eat poor quality, or processed protein, as the nutrient content may be decreased.
• People with certain health conditions should avoid the keto diet, those with kidney conditions for one.
The best way to lose weight and keep it off is to learn how to eat for a healthy lifestyle – not just a short period of time. Balanced meals = a balanced body. GOLO can show you how to put together meals, including the carbohydrates you love, that trigger fat loss. When you follow the GOLO plan, you will feel and look good as you lose weight because GOLO helps reset your metabolism and restore metabolic health.
Visit GOLO.com to access all the weight loss tools GOLO has to offer!