Nature- it is all around us. Not only is it beautiful it has been scientifically proven that being in nature can improve your overall well being and health-mental and physical. Here are some of the reasons why you should go outside today-
1. Improved short-term memory – Studies have shown that short term memory is improved by 20% just by walking in nature.
2. Stress relief – A University of Rochester study found that just looking at natural landscapes, as opposed to urban, manmade environments, can make us feel more in tune with our inner selves and can have a calming effect.
3. Reduced inflammation – This is linked to the above topic, when your stress is low, everything flows more easily
throughout the body, which may lead to reduced inflammation.
4. Boosted immune system – Studies have shown that being in nature can provide protections against numerous health conditions. The cellular activity that is alive in nature is indicative of a general boost to the immune system you rely on to fight off less serious illnesses, like colds, the flu and other infections.
5. Improved mental health – Like stress relief, walking through nature or even looking at nature oriented pictures, can boost your mood in a big way.
6. Vitamin D – We all known that vitamin D is good for us, but did you know that it can prevent all sorts of medical conditions? And it is better to get vitamin D from natural sources, as opposed to supplements.
7. Eye Health – Going outside can improve something called “Computer Vision Syndrome,” which can happen when you work in front of a computer for a living. Studies have also shown that artificial light can have a negative impact on nearsightedness.
8. Improved sleep – Being around nature has a positive effect on our circadian rhythms, which is what controls our sleeping patterns.
9. Breathing fresh air – The Environmental Protection Agency New England states that indoor pollutants are usually 2 to 5 and can be up to 100 times higher than outdoor pollutants.
Here are some ways that you can incorporate some green into your life today:
• Add a plant to your home, office, classroom, etc. Some plants that can improve air quality are aloe, snake plant, golden pothos, and chrysanthemum.
• Grounding- Grounding is the act of bare skin contact on a natural surface like dirt, grass or sand. The theory around this is that because the earth is negatively charged, and has a greater negative charge than your body, we absorb the earths electrons. This has a great energizing and anti-inflammatory effect on the body.
With all of this green talk, let’s not forget the beach! The sand and sea are just as good as the green trees and the dirt. One of the major benefits you get from the beach are natural magnesium from the sea water. To get this same effect at home, you can make a magnesium oil and you can also take supplements (tip: there is magnesium in Release!). There are also hair and skin benefits, both from the sun and the sea water. Luckily, this one is easy to do at home – sea salt sprays for hair, homemade bath salts, and salt based detox baths. And last but certainly not least, the beach is fantastic for relaxation, which is good for our mental AND physical health. So, if there is a beach near you, there are no excuses…go to it!
It’s easy to get caught up in everyday life, food prep, exercise and family but the benefits that nature provides us really cannot be ignored so now that you are finished reading about these miracles, GO OUTSIDE!