“I love you” is a common phrase in our vocabulary. We say it to our spouses, our parents, our children, and even our pets. But some of us forget to say it to one important person…ourselves. Low self-esteem is something we all struggle with at some point in our lives. We look in the mirror and all we see is everything that we want to change. But how many of us look in the mirror and think, “I love myself”?
Self-love is important. Some may think that it’s selfish and narcissistic to say that they love themselves, but that is not the case. It is simply about treating yourself with respect. It’s easy to get caught up in taking care of our children, spouses or other important people in our lives – these things are undoubtedly important but so are you. I bet if you think about it, you probably don’t even remember the last time you took time to truly appreciate YOU.
Negative thoughts, especially about yourself, are destructive not only to your mental health, but your physical health as well. Always remember, your body hears everything that your mind tells it. Getting down on yourself about lack of progress in the gym, or if you gave in and had a cupcake, or beating yourself up for the way you look, can actually increase the production of cortisol which is a stress hormone. An increase in cortisol can cause muscle loss, tissue destruction, bone loss, and a weakened immune system. High cortisol levels can also make it harder to lose body fat, especially in the abdominal region.
Here are few simple tasks to help you on the journey to learning to love yourself:
• Play hooky- Your work and everything else will be there tomorrow. Take a day to relax and focus on YOU!
• Take a break from your electronics- We are always on our phones, our computers, our tablets and we just let life pass us by. Put the electronics down and take a bath, write in a journal or read a good book.
• Forgive yourself- We all make mistakes. We all have regrets. Forgive yourself for everything that you’ve done that you wish you hadn’t. It doesn’t matter. It has nothing to do with the person you are today. Learn from your mistakes and move on.
• Treat yourself- Give yourself a manicure, a pedicure, a facial, or even book a massage! You deserve to feel good, especially about yourself.
• Do what you love- We all have things we enjoy doing, but we do not make time to do them because of our busy schedules. Set time aside specifically for those things. Do not feel guilty about doing something that makes you happy!
You began the GOLO journey not because you dislike yourself, but because you love yourself enough to want something better for you. So, remember to praise yourself every day for that decision. If you falter, that’s okay. Forgive yourself and move on. Try and practice self-love each and every day. You are important and beautiful and you deserve everything you’ve ever wanted. Looking in the mirror should not be something you dread- make sure that reflection is always smiling back at you. You can do this and we are here to help you every step of the way!
GOLO® is committed to providing you with the helpful tips and resources needed for personal success on a lifelong journey of health and wellness. It’s time to become #YourBestYou.
Visit GOLO.com to access all the weight loss tools GOLO has to offer!
GOLO is not intended to diagnose, treat, prevent or cure any illness or disease. This blog provides general information and discussion about health and wellness related subjects. The words and other content provided in this blog, and in any linked materials, are not intended and should not be construed as medical advice. GOLO encourages you to consult a doctor before making any health changes, especially any changes related to a specific diagnosis or condition. All opinions and articles linked to and from this page are those of the individuals concerned and do not necessarily represent those of GOLO, LLC or its employees. No responsibility can be accepted for any action you take or refrain from taking as a result of viewing this page. GOLO will not be liable for any errors, losses, injuries, or damages from the display or use of this information. These terms and conditions are subject to change without notice.