Hummus is a great snack- healthy and filling. It’s likely that you are familiar with the hummus made from solely chickpeas but have you ever heart of BEET hummus? Thanks to Love and Lemons, you have now!
Serving Size – ½ cup which is 1 carb serving
• 1 medium or 2 small red beets
• 2 cloves garlic
• 1½ cups cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
• 2 tablespoons tahini
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
• 2 to 3 tablespoons warm water
• ½ teaspoon of cumin (optional)
• Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Drizzle the beet with olive oil and then wrap the beet and garlic together in foil. Place on the baking sheet and roast 30 to 40 minutes, or until the beet is fork-tender.
2. When cool enough to handle, peel the beet skins under running water using your hands. Chop the beet and place it in a blender. Add the roasted garlic, chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, and water and blend until smooth. Add cumin if desired. Chill until ready to use.